The Stork in the Lab: Biological, Psychological, Ethical, Social and Legal Aspects of Third Party Conceptions
Publication Date:October 1994
The proliferation of third party conceptions has answered the prayers of some infertile couples for a child. At the same time it has created a variety of profound biological, ethical, legal, social and psychological problems. In this paper an attempt is made to explore specifically the psychological issues consequent to the use of AI, IVF and surrogate motherhood.
1. Reading, Anthony E., Sledmere, C. M. and Cox, D. N. A Survey of Patient Attitudes Towards Artificial Insemination By Donor, J. Psychosom. Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 429-433, 1982.
2. Kraus, J. & Quinn, P. E. Human Artificial Insemination-Some Social & Legal Issues, Med. J. Aust., 1:710, 1977.
3. Czyba, J. C. & Chevret, M., Psychological Reactions of Couples to Artificial Insemination. Int. J. Fertil, 24(4), 1979, p. 240-245. 1980 U.S. International Foundation for Studies in Fertility, and International Federation of Fertility Societies.
4. Walters, W. W. & Sousa-Posa, J. Psychiatric Aspects of Artificial Insemination (Donor). J. Can. Med. Assoc. 95:106, 1966.
5. Ledward, R. S., et al., Social & Envir. Factors As Criteria For Success In Artificial Insemination By Donor (AI). J. Biosoc. Sci.
6. Czyba & Chevret, op. cit.
7. Levie, L. H. An Inquiry into the Psychological Effects on Parents of Artificial Insemination with Donor Semen, The Eugenics Review, Vol. 59, 1967, pp. 97-105.
8. Foss, G. L. Artificial Insemination by Donor: A Review of 12 Years' Experience. J. Biosoc. Sci. (1982) 14, 253-262.
9. Gerstel, Gerda. A Psychoanalytic View of Artificial Donor Insemination. Am. J. Psychoth. Vol. 17, 1963, pp. 4-77.
10. Levie, L. H. op. cit.
11. Pritchard, Chris. Sperm Donors, The Med. Post, Sept. 7, 1982, p. 61.
12. Berger, David M. Psychological Aspects of Donor Insemination. Int'l J. Psychiatry in Medicine, Vol. 12(1), 1982 pp. 49-57.
13. Ruhin, Bernard. Psychological Aspects of Human Artificial Insemination, Arch. Gen. Psychiatr. Vol. 13, Aug 1965, pp. 121-132.
14. Artificial Insemination, Lancet 2:247:248, 1960.
15. Behrman, S. J., & Kistner, R. W. (eds.). Progress in Infertility. Little Brown & Co., Boston, 1975.
16. Gerstel, Gerda. A Psychoanalytic View of Artificial Donor Insemination. Am. J. of Psychotherapy, Vol. 17, 1963, pp. 64-77.
17. Ledward, R. S., Seymonds, E. M. & Eynon, S. Social and Environmental Factors as Criteria for Success in Artificial Insemination by Donor (AI). J. Biosoc. Sd. (1982) 14, 263-275.
18. Berger, op. cit.
19. Menning, Barbara Eck. Psychosocial Issues in Artificial Insemination by Donor Resolve, Apr. 1980, pp. 5-6.
20. Gerstel, op. cit.
21. Rubin, op. cit.
22. Jackson, M. H. Artificial Insemination (Donor). Eugenic Rev. 48:205:1957.
23. Clayton, Christine E. & Kovacs, Gabor T. AI offspring. The Med. J. Austr. Apr. 17, 1982, pp. 338-339.
24. Marik, Jaroslav J. quoted by Henaken, John. Artificial Insemination has few untoward effects. JAMA, Sept. 9, 1983, Vol. 25, No. 10, p. 1256.
25. lizuka, Rihachi et al. The Physical & Mental Development of Children Born Following Artificial Insemination, Int. J. Pert. Jan.-March, 1968, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 24-32.
26. Rand, Austin. More Abnormalities seen With Artificial Insemination. The Med. Post, March 8, 1983.
27. Kritchevsky, Barbara. The Unmarried Woman's Right To Artificial Insemination. The Med. Post, March 8, 1983.
28. Kritchevsky, op. cit. pp. 23-24.
29. After Snowden R. & Mitchell, G. D. The Artificial Family, George Alien & Unwin, London, 1981.
30. Andrews, Lori B. New Conceptions, St. Martin's Press, N.Y., 1984, p. 123.
31. TGH celebrates first in vitro birth. Ontario Medicine, January 7 1985.
32. Clapp, Diane. In Vitro Fertilization: An Overview. Resolve, Inc., P. O. Box 474, Belmont, MA 02178.
33. TGH celebrates first in vitro birth, op. cit.
34. Duval, A. Raul. Study of the First 50 Pregnancies After in Vitro Fertilization (not yet published. Hop. Antoine Beclere, 92141 Clamart, France.
35. Test-tube births 'yukky'. The Mod. Post, May 14, 1985.
36. Saunders, Douglas M., et al. National Australian Register of In-Vitro Pregnancies. Paper presented at 2nd International Congress on IVF, Helinski, 1984.
37. Fertility Society issues for IVF. Med. World News, March 12, 1984, p. 41.
38. Parker, Philip J. Motivation of Surrogate Mothers: Initial Findings. Am. J. Psychiatry, 140:1, Jan 1983, pp. 117-118.
39. Paper presented at Ortho Meeting, 1984, Toronto.
40. Reame, Nancy. Surrogate Mothers, J. Obst. Gyn. Nursing, 13:59, 1984.
Thomas R. Verny, M.D., D. Psych., F.R.C.P.(C)
Paper presented at the II International Congress of PPPANA 1985, San Diego. Thomas R. Verny is founder and past president of PPPANA. Also past editor of the PPPJ. He is presently on the Board of Directors of PPPANA and a psychiatrist in private practice in Toronto, Canada.