5-part Lecture Series
Frontiers in Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology
40 Years of Scientific Discoveries with
Dr. Thomas Verny, MD
Founder of APPPAH
In this five-part series, APPPAH’s founder and first president, takes you on a journey through the scientific discoveries regarding prenatal consciousness. Discoveries which are not routinely taught in medical school or traditional education around pregnancy and birth.
Understanding these principles is vitally important to all practitioners who work with pregnant mothers and new babies. This foundational knowledge provides tools to practice the art and science of prenatal and perinatal psychology according to the most recent research in neuroscience, epigenetics, bonding, and other perinatal fields.
For the first time ever, this seminal work is consolidated into an in-depth, five-part series that will take you through four decades of scientific discoveries in the field of birth psychology.
Special thanks to Dr. Verny for his generous donation of these lectures
to APPPAH. All course fees support APPPAH's work in the world.
View this 60 minute fireside chat with Dr. Verny and APPPAH's President Dr. Raylene Phillips to hear about the history behind this lecture series.
About Dr. Verny
Thomas R. Verny is a psychiatrist, writer and academic. His seminal book, The Secret Life of the Unborn Child became an international bestseller published now in 27 countries and has changed the pregnancy and childbirth experience for millions of mothers and fathers.
Dr. Verny's publications include
- The Secret Life of the Unborn Child, (with John Kelly). Summit Books, USA and Collins, Canada, 1981. (Published in 27 countries)
- Pre-And Peri-Natal Psychology: An Introduction (Ed.) Human Sciences Press, New York, USA, 1987
- Parenting Your Unborn Child. Doubleday, Toronto, Canada, 1988. (Also published in Japan)
- Nurturing The Unborn Child (with Pamela Weintraub). Delacorte Press, United States and Canada, 1991, (Also published in Italy, Brazil, Japan and Spain)
- Gifts Of Our Fathers. Crossing Press, Freedom, CA, 1994. Fitzhenry & Whiteside, Toronto, 1994
- Tomorrow's Baby: The Art and Science of Parenting from Conception through Infancy, Simon & Schuster, New York, 2002. (Also published in Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil and Japan)
- Pre-Parenting: Nurturing your Child from Conception, Simon & Schuster, New York, 2003. (This is the paperback edition of Tomorrow's Baby).
- The Impact of Prenatal Factors on Prenatal Development (2018) in Prenatal Psychology: 100 Years by Ludwig Janus, Thomas R. Verny, Arthur Janov (Author), Michel Odent, Jon RG Turner (Author), Troya GN Turner, Grigori Brekhman, Dejan Rakovic, Mirjana Sovilji, Olga Gouni, Ioanna Mari, Laura Uplinger, Glenna Batson, Maria Athanasekou, Elizabetha Levin, Ronald Cole
Lecture One- Opening Windows to the Womb: Foundational Constructs of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology
- Life begins well before birth, characteristics of prenatal life
- How development is affected by both Nature and Nurture
Lecture Two- Influences on Prenatal Life: Genetics and Epigenetics of Prenatal Growth and Development
- Genetics, the blueprint for body and mind
- Epigenetics, transgenerational transmission of acquired characteristics
Lecture Three- Prenatal and Perinatal Origins of Childhood and Adult Diseases: How the Womb Environment Influences Future Physical and Mental Health
- Effects of maternal stress, anxiety, mood disorders, and additions
- Effects of maternal health and wellbeing
Lecture Four- Prenatal and Postnatal Communication and Bonding: How Trust is Built and Why It Matters
- Hormones, neurotransmitters, and biological systems that support bonding
- Promoting development of trust and empathy
Lecture Five- Recent Advances in Neuroscience Related to Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology: From the Frontiers of Birth Psychology
- Male & female brain growth differences, implications for bonding and personality
- How the mode of birth affects baby’s microbiome
How can I access this class?
Are refunds available?
On-Demand Course Refund Policy:
Refunds are not available for our on-demand courses.