Warning messageThis content is filtered. APPPAH membership is required for full access to journal articles.
The author describes a technique to ease the trauma of abortion to the mother by attempting to communicate with the fetus using hypnotic visualization. As a result, women who employed the technique experienced little or no guilt following abortion, with some having spontaneous miscarriages. Each one reported the experience as positive, and appeared to have opened the grieving process prior to the loss of the fetus, leading to an increased sense of continuity and completeness in the experience.Also discussed is a case of attempted but uncompleted abortion. The trauma to the fetus is seen in the adult through techniques of age regression.
1. Gendlin, E.T. Focusing. New York: Everest House, 1978.
2. Shorr, J.E. Go see the movie in your head. New York: Popular Library, 1977.
3. Simonton, O.C., Mathews-Simonton, S., and Creighton, J. Getting well again. Los Angeles: J.P. Tarcher, Inc., 1978.
4. Orne, M.T. On the social psychology of the psychological experiment: with particular reference to demand of charateristics and their implications. American Psychologist, 1962, 17, 776-783.
5. Lowen, A. Betrayal of the Body. New York: Collier/Macmillan, 1967.
6. Watkins, J.G. The affect bridge: A hypnoanalytic techique. Internat. J. of Clin. & Exper. Hypn., 1971, 19, 21-27.
7. Watkins, H.H. Ego-state therapy. In R.J. Corsini (Ed.) Encyclopedia of psychology. New York: Wiley, 1984, Vol. 1, pp. 420-421.
8. Watkins, J.G. The therapeutic self. New York: Human Sciences Press, 1978.
9. Watkins, J.G. & Watkins, H.H. Hypnoanalytic ego state therapy as an active treatment approach, in Short term approaches to psychotherapy, H. Grayson, (Ed.), New York: National Institute for the Psychotherapies, Inc., Human Sciences Press, 1979, pp. 176-220.
10. Watkins, J.G. & Watkins, H.H. I. Ego states and hidden observers. II. Ego-state therapy. The woman in black and the lady in white. (Audio tape and transcript), New York: Jeffrey Norton, 1980.
11. Watkins, J.G. & Watkins, H.H. Ego-state therapy. In R.J. Corsini, (Ed.), Handbook of innovative psychotherapies. New York: Wiley, 1981, pp. 262-270.
12. Watkins, J.G. & Watkins, H.H. Ego-state therapy. In L.E. Abt & I.R. Stuart (Eds.), The newer therapies: A source book. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1982, pp. 137-255.
Helen H. Watkins, M.A.
University of Montana